Meaning of RGB8

Bits and byte level questions, ideas and suggestions for the CITP protocol.
tomg

Meaning of RGB8

Postby tomg » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:32 pm

What precisely is meant by RGB8? Is this a paletized RGB format? Or, is it RGB888, i.e. RGB24? Just trying to understand before I start punching out code.

Thanks.
tom

owaits

Re: Meaning of RGB8

Postby owaits » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 pm

The way we have implemented this is as RGB with 8Bits for Red, 8Bits for Green, 8Bits for Blue. It strictly should be RGB24.

You might have to be careful though as from what I remember most implementations of this are actually BGR. I seem to remember that initially I set it to RGB and then realised it did not work with anything correctly.

lasso
Site Admin

Postby lasso » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:14 am

owaits wrote:You might have to be careful though as from what I remember most implementations of this are actually BGR. I seem to remember that initially I set it to RGB and then realised it did not work with anything correctly.

Yep, prior to version 1.1 of MSEX, RGB data was transmitted as BGR rather then RGB!
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

tomg

Postby tomg » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks. R8G8B8/RGB24 it is then. Now reordering for network order just needs to be done. Gotta love Intel machines.

Onward...
tom

tomg

Postby tomg » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Thrashing through this a bit mroe, are the following two statements correct?

1) The RGB8 buffer contains RGB triples from the top-left corner of the image to the bottom-right corner of the image.
2) The RGB8 buffer only contains RGB triples and does not contain meta data as in a Windows BMP files or other container format files.

Thanks again for the assist.
tom

lasso
Site Admin

Postby lasso » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:32 am

tomg wrote:1) The RGB8 buffer contains RGB triples from the top-left corner of the image to the bottom-right corner of the image.
2) The RGB8 buffer only contains RGB triples and does not contain meta data as in a Windows BMP files or other container format files.

Sounds right!
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

Return to “Design - For developers”